For the latest comments, updates and news on UK immigration law please join us on our Facebook Page. Read recent immigration cases and issues of other people.

You can get UK immigration advice if you need help with getting permission to stay in the UK. British immigration advisers can help you with most things to do with immigration, including helping you to fill in the right forms and representing you at a tribunal. Advisers don’t make immigration decisions and can only give you advice. Immigration advisers are only allowed to give you advice on things they’re qualified to help you with.

Registered immigration advisers

The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) regulates immigration advisers and makes sure they meet certain standards. For example, advisers must:

  • carry insurance against giving poor advice
  • keep up to date with current immigration advice.

By law, immigration advisers must be registered with OISC or a member of an approved professional body, for example the Law Society.

You can see what advice they can give you by their ‘level’. There are 3 levels.

Level 1 – advice and assistance

A level 1 adviser can give you advice on simple cases, for example getting a business visa extension when you have no problems with work and all necessary documents.

Level 1 advisers can advise you on:

  • entry clearance
  • leave to enter
  • leave to remain
  • nationality and citizenship
  • EU and EEA law

The detailed guide explains what level 1 advisers can do.

Level 2 – casework

Level 2 advisers can do everything that Level 1 advisers can do, but can also accept more complicated cases.

You may want to use a level 2 adviser if you’ve had problems in the past with immigration and want permission to remain in the UK.

Advisers in this category can also help:

  • with claims for asylum and human rights applications
  • get your visa application decision reviewed (an ‘administrative review’)
  • if you entered the UK illegally or stayed after your visa expired
  • if you’re being removed or deported

The detailed guide explains what level 2 advisers can do.

Level 3 – advocacy and representation

Level 3 advisers can do everything that Level 1 and 2 advisers can.

They can also appear on your behalf at an immigration tribunal. In certain situations they can help you if you go to court.

The detailed guide explains what level 3 advisers can do.

Helpful organisation working on families, immigration and human rights:

JCWI The Joint Council for the welfare of Immigrants has been campaigning for justice in immigration, nationality & asylum law & policy since 1967 BRITCITS BritCits was formed in 2012 in direct response to the attack on British citizens and residents with non-EEA family members MIGRANTS RIGHTS NETWORK MRN campaigns for better immigration policies and migrants rights ILPA The Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association is a membership organisation Which aims to promote and improve the advising and representation of immigrants, provide information to members and others on domestic and European immigration, asylum and nationality law and secure a non-racist, non-sexist, just and equitable system of immigration refugee and nationality law practice CHILDRENS’ COMMISSIONER The Commissioner has a statutory duty to promote and protect the rights of all children in England in accordance with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.

Back to Top