If you’re already in the UK, your spouse (husband, wife or civil partner) or fiancé will need a visa to join you to live for over 6 months.

A family member who joins you in the UK based on your right to stay in the UK is called a ‘dependant’, and you are known as the ‘sponsor’.

They’ll need to make an application from outside the UK.

If your spouse or partner wants to visit the UK for less than 6 months, you need to apply for a visit visa instead.

If the application gets rejected, appealing will take between 6 and 9 months – so you should think about getting help from a specialist immigration adviser. You can:

How long the visa lasts

Who the visa is for How long the visa lasts
Spouse, for example your husband, wife or civil partner 33 months – your spouse can then renew their visa from the UK for another 2 years and 6 months.They can apply to settle in the UK after 5 years.
Your fiancé 6 months – your partner can apply for further leave as a spouse after this time.They can apply to settle in the UK after 5 years as a spouse.


Check what visa they need

While they’re often thought of as being a ‘spouse visa’, the actual visa your spouse or fiancé needs will depend on your circumstances. Read more about help with spouse visa

Leave a comment